Blackbird Healing Yoga as taught by Adrea Reed
Creating a safe environment for survivors of traumatic events
Traumatic events can make it difficult for survivors to learn how to trust again and establish connection. Yoga can help survivors find union between seemingly disconnected and challenging aspects of the self and allow them to slowly build the pieces into an integrated whole.
There are few people who get through life without some sort of traumatic experience happening to them. Trauma can be held in the brain and in the body in ways we don't expect. Yoga can help us to release the traumatic energy held inside.
Experiences that can cause Trauma to be held in the body might include:
- Car accidents
- Being diagnosed with a serious illness
- Death of a loved one
- Suffering a physical injury
- Sexual Assault
- Physical/Emotional/Verbal Abuse
- Witnessing a tragedy: plane crash, terrorism, natural disaster
- Being a victim of a mugging, kidnapping, gang violence
- Being involved in a civil conflict/affected by politics
- Human trafficing
One of the main missions of Blackbird Healing Yoga as taught by Adrea Reed is to help train yoga teachers and studios in how to provide a safe space for all students.
- Workshops for Yoga Teachers/Studios: Learn how trauma affects the brain and body, then I'll provide everyone with tips and tools on how to create a safe space, and then everyone will experience a trauma-sensitive yoga practice and meditation.
- In person training at your studio for your teachers: I will come to your studio and walk through it giving you suggestions for your specific space. I'll give your front desk staff the training they need to avoid many of the triggers that can affect people with trauma. Then we'll meet with your teachers and I will conduct my workshop for all of you.
- Guest speaker at your 200 or 300 Hour Teacher Training: I will work with you to determine what you would like for your trainees. Choices include coming to speak to them as part of their training or conducting my entire Workshop that includes the lecture and practice.